June 11, 2013

Chicken Adobo


When the Hubby and I traveled to the Philippines last year, the one dish he asked if I could make was Adobo (eeek!).   Adobo is the unofficial national dish of the Philippines (if the Black Eyed Peas can mention it in a song you know it is) .  It consists of meat or vegetables simmered in a marinade of soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic.  Its one of those dishes that reminds me of home, and lets be honest, there is nothing wrong with the smell of 6 cloves of garlic cooking!

Before my self inflicted domestic bootcamp, I was not exactly known for my kitchen skills (also why I asked for cookbooks for my bridal shower).  Well four months in, things in the kitchen are looking up as told by our nightly food comas and our waist bands getting a bit snug.

So last night I attempted to make some chicken adobo.... Holy sh*t it was delicious!



Chicken Adobo:
6 chicken thighs (preferably with bone and skin)
1/2 c soy sauce
6 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp coconut oil (or as needed to coat the bottom of the pan)
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 c water
3 bay leaves
1 tsp whole black peppercorns


1. Marinate chicken in soy sauce and garlic for at least 3 hours. 

2. Heat coconut oil in large saute pan or dutch oven over medium heat.  

3. Once oil is hot, brown chicken for 3 minutes on each side

4. Remove chicken from pan and drain the oil from the pan.

5. Pour the soy/garlic marinade in the pan.  Add the water and bring to a boil.  Once at a boil, add back chicken, bay leaves, peppercorns, and vinegar and lower heat to a simmer.  Simmer for 30-40 minutes until cooked though.    If you have a fat separator, remove chicken from pan and strain liquid and pour into the fat separator.  Pour liquid back over chicken and serve with rice (preferably jasmine)



I would have included a "completed" picture, but we were a bit over zealous and dug right in.  






No comments:

Post a Comment